Thursday, January 13, 2011

No... this blog has not been forgotten... just neglected :/

Sorry I haven't written for awhile. But I'm ready to get back on track! Although, I AM 32 weeks pregnant... so I'm sure I'll easily fall behind again.


The Step UP for Down Syndrome Walk was another success this year. Our team, Caring 4 Caydence, raised $2,210.00 for the Madison Area Down Syndrome Society! The only drawback was that we didn't actually walk. The day of the event it was cold and rainy outside, but luckily MADSS had reserved an exhibition hall at the Alliant Energy Center for the activities. There was music, activities for the kids, a silent auction, things to buy, and a not so healthy lunch. Hopefully next year the weather will cooperate and will actually be able to WALK :) Thanks to all our friends and family who came to support us... Kris, Louie, Conner, Autumn, Sabra, John, Gina, Adrianna, Evan, Peter, Charlie, Aunt Millie, Uncle Frank, Cassie, Ciera, Kyria, Melissa, Jim, Olivia, Betty, Josh, Melissa, Jena, Sara, Brent, Jean, Dale, Gram Gram, and Rod. Hope I didn't forget anyone!


Caydence has been doing very well lately. She loves books and has learned to put her nesting cups together in order, and she eats about 6-9 oz of pureed food a day now which is a HUGE improvement. December 14th was her Heart Day, (One year since her open heart surgery). She decided to celebrate by learning to sit up by herself. Now when she is playing in her play area she can role, sit her self up, play with a toy, lay back down, roll some where else and sit up again. We are VERY proud of her.

As I said earlier, I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with another baby GIRL! Her name is Sydney Elizabeth and is due March 8th. Although Caydence was 4 weeks early, so who knows when little Sydney bean is going to arrive. So far everything is looking good. At my 20 week ultrasound they thought they spotted an asd (atrial septal defect) in her heart, but a fetal echo came up clean. Sydney will still get an echo sometime after she is born though, just to be sure.



Have you heard there is a new blood test for Down syndrome? Instead of women having to have an amnio performed in order to find out if their unborn baby has Down syndrome, scientists have discovered a simple blood test that can be performed which can accurately detect Down syndrome. I am personally very anti amnio. 1 in 300 women lose their baby after having an amnio. That is why I have declined them the past three pregnancies. I have very VERY mixed feelings about this new test.

First of all, I think it is great that they can now prenatally detect a baby with Down syndrome by doing a simple blood test instead of risking the baby's life by performing an amnio. Many people want to be prepared and informed before they give birth to a special needs baby. That is totally understandable.
My big worry is that the termination rate for babies with Down syndrome is already over 90%. With a safe and simple test being readily available in the near future, I fear that someday there won't be fantastic little babies like Caydence in the world. There isn't enough education given to mothers who are given a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome. Instead, genetic counselors use scare tactics and paint a worse case scenario for the parents. Which freaks them out. Women should be required to meet with their local Down syndrome organization before choosing to kill their babies.

I feel like our society is getting closer and closer to Hitler's eugenics and creating the "perfect" human by weeding out any babies who have Down syndrome or other genetic conditions. How far is it going to go? Will there be prenatal testing someday for autism? ADHD? Homosexuality? Depression? Anxiety? Asthma? Allergies? I know I'm getting a head of myself. But every baby is perfect in the eyes of God. I think we should just let nature take it's course. I don't think it's up to us to decide whether a baby lives or dies.

On a lighter note... Caydence hair is now long enough to get into a ponytail. It kind of sticks straight out but it's still cute. Here's a few pics :)



No comments: